Saturday, January 10, 2009

Where to Start

I am not sure where to start exactly since we have been out so long. So I will start with today. You already know we have been sick, we have had Christmas and New Years, Justus turned 7 months and a trip to Midland sooo there is not much else to tell besides some random details, and well, I am not sure if those will ever make to the ol' blog....I will spare you, thank me later.

I finished a book today and started a new one. The book I finished, Shopping for Time, How To Do it ALL and Not Be Overwhelmed by Carolyn Mahaney is an excellent resource for women who feel like there plate is always full and women who want to avoid this pattern. It is easy to read, loaded with practical application and full of Biblical tools to prioritize your time. It was so good that I am going to outline it and refer to the outline monthly.

The book I started is Fanny J. Crosby, An Autobiography. I am five chapters in and loving it. Fanny Crosby is a beloved Hymn Writer. She has been blind since she was 6 weeks old when a physician, who thought he was treating her eye for a cold, used the wrong solution and blinded her eyes for life. She wrote over 8,000 hymns, many of which you might recognizes...Blessed Assurance and To God Be the Glory to name a couple. I have only read up until she is 12 but so far her contentment with her blindness has blown me away. This is a poem she wrote when she was eight,
Oh what a happy soul I am,
Although I cannot see;
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.
How many blessings I enjoy,
That other people don't;
To weep and sigh because I'm blind,
I cannot, and I won't."
One of the goals I set when I was about to have Justus was to read more. I want to always be learning and growing. It is not always easy to do this while juggling the home, the boys and other work. I read a quote by Dr. John Piper that has spurred me on in my goal to read more. I saw it on the Girl Talk blog and it was so timely.

He recommends setting a goal to read for 15 minutes a day:

“Suppose you read slowly like I do--maybe about the same speed that you speak--200 words a minute. If you read fifteen minutes a day for one year (say just before supper, or just before bed), you will read 5,475 minutes in the year. Multiply that by 200 words a minute, and you get 1,095,000 words that you would read in a year. Now an average serious book might have about 360 words per page. So you would have read 3,041 pages in one year. That’s ten very substantial books. All in fifteen minutes a day.”(When I Don't Desire God, p. 129)

2 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

Oh, I love that quote! Very inspiring!!

Andrea Bowman said...

you're such a stay at home mom.