Saturday, August 20, 2011

What's On My Play List

Since I am in a bit of a blogging rut, I thought I could answer a common question I get.

"What are you listening to?" or "You got any new music we should listen to?"

I'm an not sure why exactly I get this question so much but I have been getting it for years and years and, honestly, very few things bring me as much joy as sharing great music with people!

I make no claim to be the most savvy of music finders and I am not the "I only listen to the coolest, newest, most unique music" person either. I am sure some of you will see the below listed albums and roll your eyes as none of them are the "new, cool band," and well if that is you, theses suggestions are not for you :)

I value good music. Lyrics are often a big deal to me and when I find an album that is both lyrically and musically sound I love sharing them with friends. This spring/summer has been unique in that a slew of great worship albums were released all within months of eachother. So my playlist has been much bigger than normal. I am going to list out 3 of these albums, tell you why I have liked them and recommend a few songs from each album in case you are limited on funds and just cant purchase 3 albums right now.

#1 Be Lifted High :: Bethel Live
This album came out early spring of this year. It is a live worship album from Bethel Church from Redding, CA. It is the home church of Jesus Culture, in case you are familiar w/ their music. This album is enmeshed with full sound, Spirit lead, live worship. Some of my conservative cohorts and those skeptics of Spirit movement may be a little overwhelmed by the style of this album. It has live prayers and exhortations through out the songs, some songs more than others. I enjoy the richness of the lyrics paired with the loud, full sound of live music.
If I only had $5 to spend on music from this album I would pick::
  1. Furious- a song about the Love of Christ, His wide, deep, sweet, fierce, furious love. The first time I heard this I thought it was a crazy mix of U2 sounds mixed w/ t
    he unique sounds of Dave Matthews Band. I know those two dont really go together but that is why I loved the sound of this song. Very good.
  2. One Thing Remains- another song about Christ's Love never running out on us. This song is basically 3 very catchy choruses made into a song.
  3. Love Came Down- A great song about the Rescuing Love of Christ. Very easy to sing along with. ( and i heard recently, for those musicians reading, that this song rocks as an acoustic led song. apparently if you strip away the extra songs this song carries itself well...gotta love that!)
  4. One Thirst- This was my first experience w/ Bethel Live...so its gonna be a long time fave of mine. It's a great Guy/Girl song. My favorite thing about this song is it is ALL Scripture. So powerful! note to worship leaders:: GREAT congregational song, amazing night/morning starter song.
  5. God of The Redeemed- oh man, this song makes me want to jump out of my chair, hands raised, pleading others to join in...oh man I'm getting pumped just thinking of the song :) the bridge :: It's rising, It's rising the song of hope for those set free, It's rising, It's rising up! Hallelujah
#2 10,000 Reasons - Matt Redman
Y'all, this CD has been going in our home, our cars & through our earbuds consistently since its release. Just about the time I think I should move on, I find myself right back. There is something about Matt Redmen's music that has resonated with me since college. I love the humility and Truth in his songs. I also love the "British Pub Chant" feel of many of his songs and by that I mean easy to sing along with and some even make you want to swing your fist (elbow bent) back and forth across your body :) No seriously, these songs are full of bold, strong truth and worth singing along to!

If I only had a couple bucks to choose a few songs from this album, I'd choose
  1. Never Once- This is a powerful song of hope and a proclamation of God's faithfulness. The chorus :: Scars and struggles on the way, but with joy our hearts can say, Never once did we ever walk alone, Never once did you leave us on our own, You are Faithful, God You are Faithful.
  2. 10,000 Reasons- This is the title track and rightly so. The first time I heard this song I had to sit down and take a deep breath. This is a beautiful song and somehow as soon as you hear it, it's as if you've heard it your entire life, as if it was written on your heart years before the album release. Thank you, Matt Redman, for writing this song.
  3. Magnificent- A fantastic song about God's holiness. The pre-chorus goes:: You are higher than we ever could imagine and closer than our eyes could ever see! So great, y'all.
#2 God Is Able- Hillsong Live
Every year I get excited about the Hillsong Live albums because of the eclectic nature they bring to the ol' Hillsong playlist.
Hillsong's Live albums are different to the studio albums and to the United albums because they are a big mix of congregational songs led by all different band members. This album appeals to the entire church young and old. You will definitely find a song or two you like and a song or two your mom or friend would like but is not quite your favorite...does that make since? I love that about these Live Albums. God is Able is full of powerful lyrics and great instrumentation...as always. If you buy the Deluxe Version you will be blessed with getting the acoustic video set of a few of the songs and they are AMAZING!

If I only had a few dollars to spend on this album I would chose::
  1. God Is Able- this is the title track. It is, just as the title suggests, about God being able. The chorus :: Lifted up You defeated the grave, raised to life our God is able. In His name, we over come for the Lord our God is able :: This is a great song for both personal and corporate worship. So good.
  2. You Are More- this is a sweet song. it is a prophetic/preaching to your soul type song. It's a song from the heart of someone going through a rough season but wanting to hold to Truth.
  3. The Lost are Found- a song with a ending anthem of hope for the Lost. It'll get you pumped, people.
  4. My Heart Is Overwhelmed- this is also a sweet, precious song. It is intimate and powerful. It is beautifully written both lyrically and musically.

And lastly, no music list on this blog could be complete with out Switchfoot :)

Dark Horses - Switchfoot
This is the only song released from their upcoming album Vice Verses. I promise you, if you love rock n roll, you will LOVE this song. Well worth every penny of your $ .99. and please look for Vice Verses coming in September!

If you are looking for more eclectic instrumental/experimental music let me highly suggest Seryn or Balmorhea. Both of these bands are also highly listened to around our home.

I hope this was helpful to someone :) It was fun for me!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sharon Wheeless said...

Just so you know, Dark Horses was $1.29, but I bought it anyway just on your recommendation. Tell Switchfoot.