Friday, September 14, 2018

2018 Book Reviews (Part 2)

Welcome back!

If you missed Part 1 of this series of Book Reviews, you can just keep scrolling after this one or click here!

Everybody Always by Bob Goff


Bob Goff did it again! Everybody Always is an endearing work full of intriguing stories of a life lived without fear or worry but rather with full abandon. Mr. Goff is a remarkable story-teller so you will fly through the pages of this book with your mouth dropped open in awe. The pages are filled with stories and teachings from his life marked with love and inclusion.  Everybody, Always. That is exactly what his life embodies. Pick this book up and if you somehow missed his previous book, Love Does, grab that too! You will laugh, cry, and try to retell his stories because you are so amazed at all they entail.

Inspired by Rachel Held Evans

With a subtitle like "Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Learning to Love the Bible Again," I couldn't help but pick this book up, and I am so glad I did! Rachel digs deep into the idea of the Bible being "Inspired" and the answers she came to as she opened her mind and heart to exploring what scholars mean by that. She re-tells rich Bible stories in her own poetic rendition while mixing in parts of her own journey to discovery of these truths. Rachel is a beautiful writer. Her thoughts are smooth, vulnerable, and easy to read, even on very technical topics like this. I really enjoyed this work. It challenged me, encouraged me, and left me wanting to know the God of the Scriptures more.



A Mind of Your Own by Kelly Brogan, MD

I have followed Dr. Brogan's work and research for years but have never actually picked up her book, A Mind of Your Own, until earlier this year. As a Life and Wellness Coach I am often in the position of helping people in their darkest times. Dr. Brogan's research has helped me immensely with this from a medical perspective. A Mind of Your Own is geared toward women who struggle with anxiety and depression and are looking for long term solutions beyond (and including) medication. Dr. Brogan writings are laced with medical research and information but readable for all. She has a personal and vulnerable approach as she tells her own story going from a practicing doctor with a masters in neuroscience from MIT and a MD from Cornell to a new mother struggling to survive postpartum depression. Her science-based, holistic approach helps the reader take a look at everything from blood-sugar to thyroid issues, and explores the link between gut health and the mind. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all! My only wish is that the title was not limited to women because the information inside is for everyone.

Never Split The Difference by Chris Voss

Never did I think I would read a book written on negotiations. I am not a "sales-y" person. I hate feeling like I am asking someone to do something they don't want to do! I had a friend recommend this book and his pitch to me about it was compelling, so I picked it up, and I am better for it. This book opens your eyes to the process of high stakes negotiation and helps you see how, when used for the good of all, common practices of negotiations create better listeners, caring parents, and loving friends. Mr. Voss became the FBI's lead international kidnapping negotiator after spending years as a FBI hostage negotiator. This book is fill with crazy, outrageous stories of using the skill of listening along with the practices he teaches in the book to free and save so many lives. As he teaches each practice, he tells stories of how it has worked and even how it goes wrong. Voss is good about bringing it back to the very practical, everyday reasons to use these skills. This book may not be for everyone but I found it very compelling. I have a feeling will go back to it many times.

Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

Regardless of the recent 'negative' review of this book that has been circulating the interwebs, ladies, I hope you take some time to read this book, or listen to the audio. Rachel Hollis has a tremendous way of opening up the story of her life so that you can find yourself in her victories and her insecurities simply because you are human. I have gifted this book and recommended this book to many and when I do I say, "Rachel and I have so very little in common...and I LOVE THAT! The things she loves and that drive her are so far from mine, but I think if we got to have coffee or chat on the phone we'd be BFFs in no-time!" I say this because, while our lives look starkly different, the thread of common grace, the leading of the Lord in insane paths of life, the risks she tells that she has taken, the love she has for her family and her husband, all resonate deeply with me and with SO MANY women of all walks of life!  Rachel is an inspiration to many and has a heart of inclusion...one of my favorite qualities in humanity. Pick up a copy of this. Enjoy her stories and be encouraged. And if you are not a reader...she has a few different really fun podcasts!

Imperfect Courage by Jessica Honegger

Jessica Honegger, founder of Noonday Collection, a fair-trade jewelry brand, wrote a wonderful memoir full of stories from all the areas of her life. Each chapter is filled with tells from her inspiring journey. Jessica invites you in to all different parts of her world with vulnerability and class. If every women I know could pick up this book just for the chapter on sisterhood and supporting one another, the world would immediately be a better place! Honegger's stories from her travels abroad to will tug at your heart. You will cry when she tells parts of their adoption story and gasp out loud at her bravery. You will be inspired to love your friends well, broaden your idea of the world and those who fill it, collaborate with others on the things you love, and give yourself grace along the way. Grab yourself a copy and get one for a friend!


Okay friends! That's it for now! Happy Reading!
What have y'all been reading lately?



No comments: