Sunday, February 12, 2012

U is for Upside-down, Umbrella and The United States

We had a good week of school. It seemed to drag, unlike the previous three weeks that seemed to fly by. I kinda liked the drag. We seemed to slow down a bit and have a little extra free time. Maybe because the letter U is not full of exciting options or maybe because we are gearing up for Vernon to be out of town for a big chunk of spring. Either way, it was nice.

For U week we finished the verse we started last week for T week, Psalm 86:11. Last week we studied, "Teach me your way oh Lord, that I may walk in Your Truth." This week we started where that left off, "Unite my heart to fear Your name." Because it was the same verse (and the same context) we kept our "God is Faithful" board saying, "God is Faithful. You can have Wisdom."
We talked about the word "Unite" and all that it means. We talked about how in other translations they use the words, "give me an Undivided heart," and what undivided means. I had Titus think of reasons we would want our heart "United" with God's heart. This conversations looped us around to getting wisdom from having our heart's united with God's.

Titus worked hard this week. He got all his normal curriculum finished and we worked on memorizing more of his multiplication facts. He is doing great and pushing through 3rd quarter of 2nd grade.

As for Pre-School work with Justus, the letter U was not as hard as I thought it would be. We had fun and did several things for 'U.'

We started the week by doing our normal play-doh and worksheets:: we stamped, we painted with different types of paints and we colored.

On Tuesday we went on a "U Field Trip" to have breakfast "Under an Umbrella" and jump at Pump it "Up." It was a little stretch but it served the purpose of getting us out of the house not just to run errands but to have fun & learn. If we do a field trip day we make a little paper full of the letter we are studying and as we find things I write them on the list. Or if I know we will see something we talk about it and I write it on the paper.

For our Letter Project we made an Umbrella. Again we had to stretch it a bit...but it worked and Justus thought it was great!

All week we worked on Prepositions. This helped Titus as well. Obviously, Justus has NO clue what a preposition is but he can follow the commands of them. As I started thinking through U words, I realized a couple were prepositions so I thought it would be fun to play a game or two with them. This could also incorporate learning locational words that would help your pre-schooler follow two & three part commands.

I got out a letter U (I bought a pack of letters people use for bulletin boards at the beginning of the year for things like this, it was $1 and I have used the letters literally every week for something). Then I started telling Justus where to put the U. It would would go something like this. "Justus, put the U under the chair. Under starts with U, u-u-under." Then he would proudly go put the U under the chair and say, "Under the Chair!"
Under the Chair.
In the bag.
Up in the Air.

We also did this game with our coffee table and our couch:: (note the old blanket carefully placed making it a fort...boys!)
On the table.
Upside-down on the couch.
Under the table. In the fort.

Every morning Titus works on The United States capitals. He works on memorizing 2 a week then on Friday we use the puzzle and name all the ones he know to this point. Justus is ALWAYS very curious about the puzzle and wanting to be a part of it. This week I let him have his own shot at the puzzle.
We talked about the United States and about where we live within the United States. Then I got out our Picture Atlas and let him see the United States with in North America.
I also got some fun United States Animal flash cards in the dollar bin at Target. Justus LOVED these. We looked at them each day and a couple of the days we put them all over the ground.
I would say, "Find the Crocodile." and he would look through all the animals and pick the card I said up and hand it to me. He thought this was very fun.

So that is it for U. We had a great week and hope you did as well!

Happy Schooling!

No comments: